Sunday, September 29, 2024

The Feast of St. Michael and All Angels

Today is the Feast of St. Michael and All Angels. In most congregations this feast day would be transferred to tomorrow, making today the nineteenth Sunday after Pentecost. But given that this is our patronal feast – and even though my work here does not technically begin until Tuesday, it felt important for me to be with you today so that at our beginning we might reflect on St. Michael: the archangel, but also St. Michael’s, the parish called to be Christ’s body at the corner of Church and Hope in this time and place. 

You all ready?

Every time you walk into this building, whether today is the first time or you’ve been seeing it your whole life, you see this window of Michael slaying the dragon: an icon of the words we heard today from the Book of Revelation. Angels are messengers, remember. They offer a word from God to God’s people. But the archangel Michael is no ordinary messenger! Michael is something like the angelic version of St. George, taking on the dragon in heaven, the dragon that represents the devil and evil and all that hurts or destroys the creatures of this world. The window here depicts that story visually and calls us back to these words from Revelation every week, whether or not we are conscious of it.  

I find the Book of Revelation endlessly fascinating. But today isn’t the day for me to go all the way down that rabbit hole. I’ll just say for today that I think the interpretive lens we need for reading Revelation is something like how we read The Narnia Chronicles by C.S. Lewis or Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings or the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling. Which is to say that it is dangerous to read the Book of Revelation literally as if it’s “predicting” some future date when the world will come to an end. But it is important to take it seriously. What it’s about is the cosmic battle between good and evil and Revelation insists that in the end, good will triumph over evil. Michael defeats the dragon, i.e. the devil, and there is no longer room for the evil one in heaven.

The challenge is that we are not so lucky on earth. So we have to come to grips with, as the Baptismal Liturgy puts it, all that hurts or destroys the creatures of God and draws us from the love of God. That’s what evil does. It is real. But in the end, good will triumph on earth as it already has in heaven. And so we do not need to be afraid. Michael’s victory (which is of course part of the larger narrative of Christ’s victory over sin and death) means that we can live with courage and faith and hope. In that end is our beginning. Quite literally, in the life of this congregation, a new beginning. We will have challenging days. But there is no need for despair. We are a place of hope.

This beautiful building is located at the corner of Church and Hope. But as I learned in Sunday School many years ago, even when very beautiful and historic, the church is not the building, and the church is not the steeple, and the church is not a resting place, either. The church is a people. I am the Church. You are the Church. We are the Church together. It’s a simple message, I know. It also happens to be true.

As we seek to live God’s mission we do well to ask what Christian Hope is all about. It’s tempting to think it’s a version of cockeyed optimism. It’s tempting to think that it is about insisting that the glass is always full or at least half-full. But as William Sloan Coffin has put it, the world is too dangerous for anything but truth and too small for anything but love. We need to hold truth and love together, especially when the world we live in or our own lives are a mess. As Dr. King said, “we must accept finite disappointment. But never lose infinite hope.”

Hope is not wishful thinking. Hope is what inspires us to do the work God has given us to do this day and then again to get up tomorrow and do it again. And again. As followers of Jesus we may get weary and we may have bad days but we do not lose heart. Because we remember always how the story ends. Jesus has destroyed death that we might live. And good old Michael has defeated that dragon. Every time we walk in here we can remember that.

I know that the past few years have been challenging here in many ways. And I also know there are conflicting narratives about why that is so. I know there has been hurt and disappointment and as your pastor for the next year or so, I’m all ears. We will have a chance to unpack some of that together when Canon Dena Bartholomew-Cleaver joins us in mid-November to do an historical timeline and reflection to officially begin the process of your search for a new rector.

But here is the thing: we cannot change the past any more than we can control the future. We engage it to learn from it, for sure. But our work is always about the sacramentality of this present moment and the work that we are called to share, as priest and parish, starting today. That is work I am committed to and hopeful about, as I know many of you are also.

Your website says that you are: Warm. Welcoming. Inclusive. But websites can and do say lots of things. We are not unfamiliar with false advertising and words that aren’t backed up by actions. Anyone who has ever bought a “vine ripened tomato” in January knows it’s not like having one in August.

I testify to you all today, however, that every experience I have had so far of this parish is that this is true. Those are not just words on a website. From the first conversation I had on Zoom with your senior warden to the interview I had just three days later in the parish hall with your vestry and to the work that has already begun since then when Hathy and I were welcomed here on September 8 and we shared a meal together afterwards: every single experience I have had here so far has felt warm and welcoming and inclusive. That includes making the rectory feel like a home away from home. And I am profoundly grateful for it all.

I want you all to know as we begin that I didn’t leave diocesan ministry because I didn’t like it. And I didn’t leave diocesan ministry because I was burned out from it. There was a great deal that I found life-giving in that work over more than eleven years. And a lot that gave me hope for the future of the Church even in a time when so many are feeling that the Church is dying. I didn’t leave from; I felt drawn toward. For a few years now I have felt like I needed to return to parish work, to all of it from baptism to burial and all of the pastoral moments in between. I felt called in my belly to be back in the mix of it and once I got clear on that, a way opened up for me to come here. I’ve got some good years left but I can also see retirement from here. I want to work hard and try to be faithful as an interim here as I can be; to make a difference with more limited time constraints. But I wanted to do all of that in a place that seemed ready. And St. Michael’s, you seem ready. I don’t anticipate an uphill battle. I anticipate a life-giving partnership that ultimately will lead you all to clarity on calling your next rector. And that work energizes and inspires me. I pray we will savor every moment of it, even on the hard days.

Words on a web page are meaningless if they are not backed up by concrete actions. You all understand that. I realize that sometimes the clericalism we have inherited from the past means that we treat clergy differently than we do other guests. (That can go either way, in my experience, but mostly I think the average parishioner wants to support their priest.) I suspect and pray and hope, though, that St. Michael’s is as warm and welcoming and inclusive of every single person who walks through these doors as you have been to me. That is our why. That is our purpose. And if we are focused on that, God will help us do the rest.

Let me just add: we aren’t warm and welcoming and inclusive as a means to an end, in order to get people to fill out a pledge card, although it’s great when that happens. We are called to invite, welcome, and connect people because this is what Jesus has taught us to do. He spent a lot of time at table and at parties. In fact so much so that some of his detractors said he was a glutton and a drunkard. Look it up!

Have you seen the Surgeon General’s report from 2023 about our epidemic of loneliness and isolation as a nation? Pause on each of those words and know that it’s not all about the pandemic. We are in the midst of an epidemic of loneliness and isolation. And then, on the cover of that very report, in small print, these words: The U.S. Surgeon General’s Advisory on the Healing Effects of Social Connection and Community.

That’s our language, Church! Social connection and community That’s what we do! That’s what Jesus did. Some may despair about the loneliness epidemic and the isolation so many in our community are feeling. But a parish that takes its name from a dragon slayer, a parish on the corner of Hope and Church, a parish called to be warm and welcoming and inclusive is a people called to bring healing to the neighborhood by offering social connection and authentic community, of welcoming people in to find meaning and purpose and strength for the journey. And then helping those new guests join us in becoming hosts to others.

That’s why we are focused on the theme of belonging this month – that we belong to God and to each other. So we live in hope, knowing with St. Paul that hope does not disappoint or as the New Revised Standard Version of that verse from Romans puts it, “hope does not put us to shame. because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us.” (Romans 5:5)

One more thing and then I will take a seat. These words from Thomas Merton “You do not need to know precisely what is happening or exactly where it is all going. What you need is to recognize the possibilities and challenges offered by this present moment and then embrace them with courage, faith, and hope.”

Are you ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment