Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Worship

This is the fifth post in a series on The Way of Love.

To pick up where I left off on the last post (Pray) the distinction that I would make between prayer and worship (and I think The Book of Common Prayer backs me up on this!) is that worship is focused on something we do with others. When two or three are gathered together, Jesus has promised to be in the midst of us. We can, of course, pray with others.But worship is about, as the catechism puts it, "[uniting] ourselves with others to acknowledge the holiness of God, to hear God's Word, to offer prayer, and to celebrate the sacraments." (BCP 857)

One of the things that makes worship so challenging is that we have different aesthetics that can keep us from fully embracing this definition of worship, which is God-focused. My "favorite hymns"  may be a burden for you if those are not your favorite hymns. And the ante is raised when the music is "sacred" rather than just a concert you'd rather not attend with me because you like country, and I like rock-and-roll. 

When I was a parish priest this was the aspect I found most challenging because it seemed that music was as likely to divide the community rather than build it up. It's true also about language - and the fights we have in the Church over inclusive language and also about how formal or informal that language should be. The words that may take me to the very heart of my faith may feel trivial or off-putting for another member of the community.

All worship is contextual. What works in an urban monastery of Episcopal brothers should not be the measure for a small-town gathering of the faithful in a farming community. I think most of us (and especially clergy) would do well to let go of many of our "shoulds" and try to appreciate what brings others closer to God. 

That said, if liturgy really is "the work of the people" we have to find better ways both to speak our truths and listen to the truths of others, toward the goal of allowing us all to give thanks for those assembled, our siblings in Christ. 

I've focused on the negative, because I think worship is a challenge. But I've also been in worship where it all comes together, where the Spirit shows up - in both small, intimate gatherings and in liturgies that "rock the house." Paying attention to what happens when that happens and letting go of our need to control is, I think, step one toward more faithful worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment