Monday, August 23, 2010

Light, not heat

In a recent email exchange with one of my faithful readers of this blog, I shared that usually when I shy away from "controversial issues" (both as preacher and as blogger) it has much less to do with being afraid to express my opinion and more to do with wanting to help shed light, rather than more heat. We live in polarized times. When I write, or preach, I want to challenge not only those who may disagree with me but also those who agree, to see things in a new light. And at some level I write to think, and preach to grow in my own faith. So when there is push-back, especially from those whom I respect, I am enriched and blessed.

In reflecting on the issues of a proposed community center (it really is more like a YMCA or in this case a PMA - People's Muslim Association) located two blocks from Ground Zero, it seems to me that step one is to move beyond our fears in order to clarify what is and what is not being proposed, who is and who is not funding the project. It does make a difference whether or not the person proposing the project is a moderate (which one would presume could lead to deeper awareness and understanding) or a terrorist. Everything I've been able to learn makes it clear that he is a respected moderate. It also does seem to me that the fact that there are mosques in the neighborhood (not to mention churches including St. Paul's, which is part of the ministry of Trinity Episcopal Church) makes a difference.

Reasonable people can still disagree. I've listened not only to Howard Dean's arguments but to friends of mine, New Yorkers, who are reasonable people and not reacting emotionally here (as far as I can tell) but who nevertheless have reservations and concerns. They challenge me and help me to recognize (to some degree) where my own biases and blind spots lie; and hopefully in turn I help them to do the same. (Although it's highly unlikely that Howard Dean is reading my blog looking for perspective!) ;-)

My own convictions are pretty clear here: both as a Christian committed to being "an instrument of peace" and as an American committed to the Constitution. It seems to me that there should be no impediment to having a PMA (or even a mosque) near (or at) Ground Zero if it meets local zoning regulations. The fact that people (in the name of Christ no less) want to burn Korans and refuse to allow mosques to be built anywhere at all because of a perceived "Islamization" of America is simple bigotry and ignorance, as far as I am concerned. Some might even just call it a manifestation of Sin.

But where I agree with Howard Dean is that, excluding the bigots whose sole purpose seems to spread deceit and fan the flames, conversations among those who come out in different places ought to be not only a goal but lead to a mutually beneficial process. Democracies (and healthy faith communities) are not afraid of disagreements. So how does the Church help to create a space where people can disagree, discuss, learn, grow, challenge each other with respect and dignity for one another? That is the question that will linger for me long after this particular controversial issue has passed. That doesn't mean we are wimps who never take a stand: but it means that when we do we are doing our utmost to shed light, not heat. In a culture that feels like a tinderbox that seems to me to a goal to which faithful people who disagree can aspire.

No comments:

Post a Comment