Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Mira Schor, via the Huffington Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mira-schor/my-whole-street-is-a-mosq_b_692385.html?view=screen

I have never lived in Manhattan. But I used to live in Westport, CT, on a little lane called Gilbert Lane that had five houses on it. These included a Muslim family from Egypt (their daughter was one of our kids first babysitters), a Jewish family who moved to Westport from Manhattan, Italian Roman Catholics, Episcopalians and a family that (as far as I could tell) chose none of the above. "Only in America" - as Schor puts it - could we watch, in turn, families head off to pray freely at the congregation of their choice on Friday, Saturday, Sunday. If we are in fact ever going to wrap ourselves in the flag, I can think of no better reason to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment