Friday, January 8, 2010

Shalom Shabbat

Just a very brief post, an observation, really. Shabbat began tonight about five hours ago, as the sun went down. We walked to the Western Wall. It was a gorgeous night, the weather unseasonably warm, and the place was packed. I expected serious, somber prayers; "reverence" I guess.

What I saw, in contrast, was joy. Dancing and singing and shouting; intergenerational. People from all nations and their dress showed that diversity. People went to pray but it wasn't somber. Shabbat is seen as a gift, I guess. It really was quite the scene.

I have said this before in my parish but our views of sabbath rest are so shaped by the Puritans and so focused on what we cannot do. This was a celebration and a sense that Sabbath is a gift--a chance to be with family and friends, and the people you love. It made me renew my own commitment to making time for Sabbath and not just personal rest from work but time for dancing, family, friends, food. Now in truth most reading this know I do pretty well in all of those departments (except for the dancing!) But I guess what is good is to connect that to what Sabbath is for which is communal, and not private. Most of what I hear and much of what I've said myself about Sabbath is really about contemplation and "me time" which, while important, was decidedly NOT what I witnessed tonight.

Shalom Shabbat! Tomorrow, on to Bethlehem...

1 comment:

  1. Barbara Brown Taylor on sabbath is inspiring too. Shalom Shabbat. Keep your posts coming!

    ReplyDelete